[tweetmeme style=”compact” source=”JohannaAP25″]
And now for something purely silly. When you spend two weeks watching fairly obscure athletes perform in their fairly obscure winter sports, sometimes all you can do is throw caution to the wind and choose to put your lot in with the athlete marred/graced by the best/craziest name. Here are some of our favorites, some are well-known, some not so much, but they would each render a fantastic autograph.
This is an unranked list, but a list nonetheless:
- Aksel Lund Svindal (Norway, Alpine Skiing)
- Apolo Anton Ohno (USA, Short Track)
- Didier Cuche (Switzerland, Alpine Skiing)
- Elisabeth Goergl (Austrian, Alpine Skiing)
- Gregor Schlierenszauer (Austria, Ski Jump). He is apparently a really big deal (complete with a clothing line) in Austria where fans call him “Shlieri,” and he leads a life of fame and fortune: “I am feeling a little like a rockstar– and I like it!”
- Gro Kvinlog Genlid (Norway, Ski Cross)
- Magdalena Neuner (Germany, Biathlon)
- Nicolien Sauerbreij (Netherlands, Snowboard Parallel Slalom)
- Ole Einar Bjoerndalen (Norway, Cross-country Skiing)
- Simon Ammann (Switzerland, Ski Jump). All the announcers had to say about him was that people like to say he looks like Harry Potter? I don’t see it, but whatever. Also he is pretty much out of everyone’s league in the ski jump world. Commentators said things like, “He told the world: you’re skiing for second place,” jumping twenty feet further than his nearest competitor. Asked how he plans to celebrate? “Long!”
So who did you become rabidly attached to based on their name?