[tweetmeme style=”compact” source=”JohannaAP25″]
Olympic commercials are serious business. They range from the sappy to the inspiring down to the downright ridiculous, but much like the high quality of the Super Bowl commercials there is a serious effort put in to get people to stay seated– especially those of us without a DVR who have to wait through them anyways.
Let’s begin the countdown, shall we?
10. GE Healthymagination “Say Ah!” First off, whoever came up with this “healthymagination,” nonsense… you got me. And NBC, way to secure prime ad time for your soon-to-no-longer-be parent company.
9. Coca-Cola “Olympic Ceremony” Yes, I have had a Coke in the last 82 years. Olympics, you’re welcome.
8. AT&T “Record,” featuring Apolo Ohno. I went back and forth on this one, but in the end I admit that I looked up almost every time I heard the music and was promptly riveted.
7. Audi “Friendly Competition”
6. Nike “The Human Chain: Perseverance” featuring “Ali in the Jungle,” by The Hours.
5. AT&T “Up and Up,” featuring Gretchen Bleiler.
4. Visa “Jamaican Bobsled Team,” in which Morgan Freeman makes us grin and even chuckle along with him.
3. Proctor & Gamble “Never Walk Alone” Now, I realize the ultimate awful flaw in the “Mom” campaign: Where are the dads? Dads love, support, sacrifice and schlep around for their kids too. However, that doesn’t make it any less effective a commercial– people cry and that is clearly what P&G was going for. Also, hello, they’re singing a show tune from Carousel by the greats Rodgers & Hammerstein.
2. Visa “Julia Mancuso,” featuring the poster she drew of herself as an Olympic champion when she was a kid. It’s the cutest thing, and what with the magic of Morgan Freeman’s voice… I really wish he would narrate my life into something inspirational and uplifting. And yes, as per an interview on The Daily Ten, that is the actual poster that she drew at age twelve.
1. Proctor & Gamble “Always Kids” And while the tag line remains geared towards moms, we like this spot because who thinks about tiny children rocking the spandex for ski jumps, short track and all the rest? It is adorable, they are so intense and I looked up every time. Would not have killed them to include the dads, since clearly this is really about the fact that our parents always think of us as we once were…
Come back tomorrow for the worst advertising moments of the Olympic games.